Veal bones make a particularly rich, gelatinous beef stock. If you don't have them, substitute an equal amount of beef bones. The step of roasting the bones, which imparts fuller flavor, may be omitted if time is short.
- 3 pounds assorted beef bones, (shin, shank, short ribs or marrowbones)
- 4 pounds veal bones
- 2 large onions, left whole
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 quarts cold water
- 5 carrots, left whole
- 2 stalks celery, left whole
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large head garlic, unpeeled
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bones in a large roasting pan. Roast until golden, 40 minutes. Stud each onion with 3 cloves. Place the roasted bones in a large stock pot with water. Bring to a boil, skim foam and reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, leek, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, for 5 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve. Skim fat, if using immediately, or refrigerate overnight and remove solidified fat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients.
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation