Beef & Asparagus Negimaki Rolls
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Japanese recipe for beef negimaki rolls (in which beef flavored with teriyaki sauce is wrapped around scallions) includes asparagus as well for extra vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skirt steak (see Tip), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat one side of the grill to medium-high (or build a medium-high-heat fire on one side of a charcoal grill); leave the other side unheated.
- Mix hoisin, water, tomato paste, vinegar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a small bowl. Set the rest aside.
- Toss asparagus, scallions, canola oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Cut steak in half lengthwise, then cut each long strip in half crosswise to make four 2-by-6-inch pieces. Pound any uneven pieces to a 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness. Brush the top side of the steak pieces with the 2 tablespoons of sauce. Divide asparagus and scallions among the steak pieces, placing the bundles across the middle. Fold and roll the steak over the bundles and thread a skewer through the overlapping ends of the steak and through the bundle to hold the rolls together.
- Place the rolls seam-side down on the hot side of the grill for 5 minutes. Turn and grill until the second side is beginning to char, about 5 minutes more. Move the rolls to the unheated side, cover and cook for about 5 minutes more for medium steak.
- Remove from the grill. Brush the steak with some of the reserved sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with the remaining sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Skirt steak—a relatively inexpensive, thin, long cut with a rich, beefy flavor—is becoming more widely available. Call ahead to make sure the market has it or ask your butcher to order it for you. For this recipe, you’ll need a piece that’s about 12 inches by 4 inches.
Per serving: 300 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 88 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 2 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 739 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (41% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)