Beef & Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Our version of beef Stroganoff tops seared flank steak with a rich-tasting sauce made with a touch of cognac, reduced-fat sour cream and plenty of portobello mushrooms. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles.
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cognac, or brandy
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or parsley
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add steak and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (The meat will be rare, but will continue to cook as it rests.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into 2 long pieces then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth, cognac (or brandy) and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream, chives (or parsley), the sliced steak and any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Per serving: 404 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 8 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 426 mg sodium; 969 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Zinc (43% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique