Beef & Cabbage Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The subtly sweet peanut sauce blends deliciously in this beef, cabbage and carrot sauté. Spice up the dish with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts, (optional)
- Whisk peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add steak and cook, stirring, until browned and barely pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Swirl in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add cabbage and 2 tablespoons water; cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots (and more water if necessary to prevent sticking or burning) and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the steak and any accumulated juices to the pan, then pour in the peanut sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with peanuts (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For thinly sliced beef, freeze for 30 minutes to make it easier to cut into very thin slices.
Per serving: 364 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (110% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009