Beef & Cabbage Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The subtly sweet peanut sauce blends deliciously in this beef, cabbage and carrot sauté. Spice up the dish with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts, (optional)
- Whisk peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add steak and cook, stirring, until browned and barely pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Swirl in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add cabbage and 2 tablespoons water; cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots (and more water if necessary to prevent sticking or burning) and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the steak and any accumulated juices to the pan, then pour in the peanut sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with peanuts (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For thinly sliced beef, freeze for 30 minutes to make it easier to cut into very thin slices.
Per serving: 364 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (110% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009