Beef Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Meltingly sweet onions top these beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions, (4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and sugar; sauté until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Combine the plumped bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 381 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 651 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation