Beef Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Meltingly sweet onions top these beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions, (4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and sugar; sauté until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Combine the plumped bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 381 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 651 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient