Beef Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Meltingly sweet onions top these beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions, (4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and sugar; sauté until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Combine the plumped bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 381 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 651 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient