Beef & Red Pepper Stir-Fry
This beef stir-fry recipe is loaded with plenty of vegetables—red bell pepper, bok choy and baby corn. But the secret to its great flavor is all in the sauce. Here, Shao Hsing rice wine and pungent oyster sauce give this simple beef-and-vegetable dish its amazing (and effortless) flavor.
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce (see Tips)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 12 ounces sirloin tip, cut into 1/8-by-3-inch strips
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces bok choy, stems and leaves separated, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 8-ounce can baby corn, rinsed
- Combine oyster sauce, water, rice wine (or sherry) and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1/3 cup scallions, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper in another small bowl.
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in 1 teaspoon oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the scallion mixture and sirloin; stir-fry until only a trace of pink remains in the meat, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok and add the remaining scallion mixture. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bell peppers and bok choy stems and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add bok choy greens and stir-fry until the vegetables begin to wilt, about 1 minute more.
- Add corn and the reserved oyster sauce mixture; stir until the sauce simmers, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved sirloin and toss until heated through, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Oyster sauce is a richly flavored Chinese condiment made from oysters and brine. Vegetarian oyster sauces substitute mushrooms for the oysters. Both can be found in large supermarkets or at Asian specialty markets.
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available at most Asian specialty markets and in the Asian section of some larger supermarkets. If unavailable, dry sherry is the best substitute.
Per serving: 226 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 852 mg sodium; 800 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (170% daily value), Vitamin A (113% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Folate (22% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)