Beef & Bean Chile Verde
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Chile Verde, usually a slow-cooked stew of pork, jalapeños and tomatillos, becomes an easy weeknight meal with quick-cooking ground beef and store-bought green salsa. Make it a Meal: Serve with fresh cilantro, red onion and Monterey Jack. Add your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 16-ounce jar green salsa, green enchilada sauce or taco sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed
- Cook beef, bell pepper and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in salsa (or sauce) and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat just before serving.
Per serving: 307 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 641 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A & Zinc (40% dv), Folate (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- January/February 2008