From EatingWell: November/December 1993
We lowered the saturated fat in these deviled eggs by using only half the yolks and extending the filling with breadcrumbs.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Cut eggs in half and scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Set aside the whites. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chives (or scallions) and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish with a sprinkling of paprika. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993