From EatingWell: November/December 1993
We lowered the saturated fat in these deviled eggs by using only half the yolks and extending the filling with breadcrumbs.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Cut eggs in half and scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Set aside the whites. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chives (or scallions) and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish with a sprinkling of paprika. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993