From EatingWell: November/December 1993
We lowered the saturated fat in these deviled eggs by using only half the yolks and extending the filling with breadcrumbs.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Cut eggs in half and scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Set aside the whites. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chives (or scallions) and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish with a sprinkling of paprika. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- November/December 1993