From EatingWell: November/December 1993
We lowered the saturated fat in these deviled eggs by using only half the yolks and extending the filling with breadcrumbs.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Cut eggs in half and scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Set aside the whites. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chives (or scallions) and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish with a sprinkling of paprika. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993