Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The combination of whole-grain brown rice and fiber-rich beans makes this a nutritionally super side dish. And because we use instant brown rice and canned beans, it's also super-fast. Try it with pork or chicken, or sprinkle with cheese and wrap in a flour tortilla for lunch or a vegetarian supper.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, or dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce and pepper; cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.
Per serving: 252 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (39% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)