Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The combination of whole-grain brown rice and fiber-rich beans makes this a nutritionally super side dish. And because we use instant brown rice and canned beans, it's also super-fast. Try it with pork or chicken, or sprinkle with cheese and wrap in a flour tortilla for lunch or a vegetarian supper.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, or dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce and pepper; cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.
Per serving: 252 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (39% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)