Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The combination of whole-grain brown rice and fiber-rich beans makes this a nutritionally super side dish. And because we use instant brown rice and canned beans, it's also super-fast. Try it with pork or chicken, or sprinkle with cheese and wrap in a flour tortilla for lunch or a vegetarian supper.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, or dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce and pepper; cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.
Per serving: 252 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (39% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)