Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The combination of whole-grain brown rice and fiber-rich beans makes this a nutritionally super side dish. And because we use instant brown rice and canned beans, it's also super-fast. Try it with pork or chicken, or sprinkle with cheese and wrap in a flour tortilla for lunch or a vegetarian supper.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, or dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce and pepper; cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.
Per serving: 252 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (39% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)