Bean & Beef Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Use this red chile-sauced beef and bean filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 8 ounces ounces beef chuck, trimmed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beef in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour; drain. When cool enough to handle, shred meat; set aside.
- Combine beans, Red Chile Sauce, garlic and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or additional chile sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add reserved beef and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 197 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- January/February 1997