Bean & Beef Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Use this red chile-sauced beef and bean filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 8 ounces ounces beef chuck, trimmed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beef in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour; drain. When cool enough to handle, shred meat; set aside.
- Combine beans, Red Chile Sauce, garlic and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or additional chile sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add reserved beef and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 197 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1997