Bean & Beef Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Use this red chile-sauced beef and bean filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 8 ounces ounces beef chuck, trimmed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beef in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour; drain. When cool enough to handle, shred meat; set aside.
- Combine beans, Red Chile Sauce, garlic and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or additional chile sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add reserved beef and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 197 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1997