Bean & Beef Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Use this red chile-sauced beef and bean filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 8 ounces ounces beef chuck, trimmed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beef in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour; drain. When cool enough to handle, shred meat; set aside.
- Combine beans, Red Chile Sauce, garlic and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or additional chile sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add reserved beef and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 197 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)