Bean & Beef Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Use this red chile-sauced beef and bean filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 8 ounces ounces beef chuck, trimmed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beef in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour; drain. When cool enough to handle, shred meat; set aside.
- Combine beans, Red Chile Sauce, garlic and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or additional chile sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add reserved beef and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 117 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 197 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1997