BBQ Tofu Sandwich
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Though vegetarian BBQ may be an oxymoron, once you take a bite of this delicious tofu sandwich topped with coleslaw and dill pickles you won’t mind the contradiction. Serve with: Baked beans and corn on the cob.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix (see Note) or finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and set aside. Stand tofu on its long narrow side. Cut lengthwise into 4 rectangular slabs, each about 1/2 inch thick, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu slabs (depending on the size of your pan, the tofu may slope up the sides a little). Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low. Add barbecue sauce and carefully turn the tofu to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw (or cabbage), mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Drain the onion.
- To assemble sandwiches, place about 1/3 cup of the coleslaw (or cabbage) mixture on each bun and top with a tofu slab, a pickle slice and a few onion slices. Spread any sauce remaining in the pan on the top buns.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for preshredded cabbage-and-carrot “coleslaw mix” near other prepared vegetables in the produce section.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 334 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (26% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- May/June 2010