Basmati Rice with Raisins & Cashews
Golden raisins, toasted cashews and scallions jazz up basmati rice. Serve with Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped raw cashews, or almonds
- 1 cup rice, preferably basmati, rinsed with cold water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add nuts and sauté until toasted, about 1 minute. Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions. Microwave Variation:
- Toss nuts with oil in a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High until nuts are golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High power 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is cooked, about 10 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less