Basmati Rice with Raisins & Cashews
Golden raisins, toasted cashews and scallions jazz up basmati rice. Serve with Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped raw cashews, or almonds
- 1 cup rice, preferably basmati, rinsed with cold water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add nuts and sauté until toasted, about 1 minute. Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions. Microwave Variation:
- Toss nuts with oil in a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High until nuts are golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High power 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is cooked, about 10 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less