Basmati Rice with Raisins & Cashews
Golden raisins, toasted cashews and scallions jazz up basmati rice. Serve with Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped raw cashews, or almonds
- 1 cup rice, preferably basmati, rinsed with cold water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add nuts and sauté until toasted, about 1 minute. Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions. Microwave Variation:
- Toss nuts with oil in a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High until nuts are golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High power 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is cooked, about 10 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation