Basmati Rice with Raisins & Cashews
Golden raisins, toasted cashews and scallions jazz up basmati rice. Serve with Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped raw cashews, or almonds
- 1 cup rice, preferably basmati, rinsed with cold water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add nuts and sauté until toasted, about 1 minute. Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions. Microwave Variation:
- Toss nuts with oil in a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High until nuts are golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice, raisins, salt, pepper and water. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High power 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is cooked, about 10 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in scallions.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)