Basic Sauteed Kale
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Simply sauteed kale seasoned with the big blast of sherry vinegar is a deluxe combination.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add water, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Push kale to one side, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the empty side and cook garlic and crushed red pepper in it until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in vinegar to taste and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Per serving: 80 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 515 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2005