Basic Sauteed Kale
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Simply sauteed kale seasoned with the big blast of sherry vinegar is a deluxe combination.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add water, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Push kale to one side, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the empty side and cook garlic and crushed red pepper in it until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in vinegar to taste and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Per serving: 80 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 515 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- October/November 2005