Basic Chicken Sauté
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This quick sauté works well with your favorite pan sauce or chutney.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, tenders removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge the chicken (discard any leftover flour).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve.
Tips & Notes
- Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders
- will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005