Basic Chicken Sauté
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This quick sauté works well with your favorite pan sauce or chutney.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, tenders removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge the chicken (discard any leftover flour).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve.
Tips & Notes
- Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders
- will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005