Basic Chicken Sauté
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This quick sauté works well with your favorite pan sauce or chutney.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, tenders removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge the chicken (discard any leftover flour).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve.
Tips & Notes
- Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders
- will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005