Basic Chicken Sauté
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This quick sauté works well with your favorite pan sauce or chutney.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, tenders removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge the chicken (discard any leftover flour).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve.
Tips & Notes
- Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders
- will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005