Basic Chicken Sauté
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This quick sauté works well with your favorite pan sauce or chutney.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, tenders removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge the chicken (discard any leftover flour).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve.
Tips & Notes
- Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders
- will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005