Basic Barbecue Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Bottled barbecue sauces are often loaded with sodium and high-fructose corn syrup. In ours, strong coffee balances the sweetness of molasses and orange juice while the chiles and hot sauce provide subtle heat.
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chiles, pierced all over with a fork
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Combine coffee, ketchup, molasses, orange juice, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard and chiles in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool and discard the chiles. Add hot sauce to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 16 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 75 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1994