Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
This hearty soup is full of root vegetables: celery root, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips. The chowder is made with beef broth, but vegetable broth can be used instead to make a vegetarian version. This robust-flavored recipe makes 12 first-course portions. Or serve double-size portions along with a salad and crusty bread for dinner.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery root, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, sage, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 78 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual