Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
This hearty soup is full of root vegetables: celery root, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips. The chowder is made with beef broth, but vegetable broth can be used instead to make a vegetarian version. This robust-flavored recipe makes 12 first-course portions. Or serve double-size portions along with a salad and crusty bread for dinner.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery root, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, sage, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 78 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique