Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
This hearty soup is full of root vegetables: celery root, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips. The chowder is made with beef broth, but vegetable broth can be used instead to make a vegetarian version. This robust-flavored recipe makes 12 first-course portions. Or serve double-size portions along with a salad and crusty bread for dinner.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery root, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, sage, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 78 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique