Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
This hearty soup is full of root vegetables: celery root, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips. The chowder is made with beef broth, but vegetable broth can be used instead to make a vegetarian version. This robust-flavored recipe makes 12 first-course portions. Or serve double-size portions along with a salad and crusty bread for dinner.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery root, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, sage, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 78 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour