Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
This hearty soup is full of root vegetables: celery root, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips. The chowder is made with beef broth, but vegetable broth can be used instead to make a vegetarian version. This robust-flavored recipe makes 12 first-course portions. Or serve double-size portions along with a salad and crusty bread for dinner.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery root, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, sage, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 78 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)