Barley "Risotto" with Asparagus & Shiitakes
The nutty flavor and toothsome texture of barley make it a ideal complement for Parmesan cheese in this risotto-style dish. Be sure to use the convenient quick-cooking barley, which is available in most supermarkets, rather than regular barley, which takes much longer to cook.
- 12 ounces asparagus
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, (white and light green parts), chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Snap off ends of asparagus stalks. Peel asparagus stalks with a vegetable peeler; cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths. Steam until just tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan or in the microwave; keep warm. Heat oil in a heavy, wide pan over medium heat. Add scallions and shiitakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add barley and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding enough broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring frequently, until the barley is just tender and the mixture has a slightly saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and the reserved asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 275 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less