Barley "Risotto" with Asparagus & Shiitakes
The nutty flavor and toothsome texture of barley make it a ideal complement for Parmesan cheese in this risotto-style dish. Be sure to use the convenient quick-cooking barley, which is available in most supermarkets, rather than regular barley, which takes much longer to cook.
- 12 ounces asparagus
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, (white and light green parts), chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Snap off ends of asparagus stalks. Peel asparagus stalks with a vegetable peeler; cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths. Steam until just tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan or in the microwave; keep warm. Heat oil in a heavy, wide pan over medium heat. Add scallions and shiitakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add barley and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding enough broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring frequently, until the barley is just tender and the mixture has a slightly saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and the reserved asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 275 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less