Barley "Risotto" with Asparagus & Shiitakes
The nutty flavor and toothsome texture of barley make it a ideal complement for Parmesan cheese in this risotto-style dish. Be sure to use the convenient quick-cooking barley, which is available in most supermarkets, rather than regular barley, which takes much longer to cook.
- 12 ounces asparagus
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, (white and light green parts), chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Snap off ends of asparagus stalks. Peel asparagus stalks with a vegetable peeler; cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths. Steam until just tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan or in the microwave; keep warm. Heat oil in a heavy, wide pan over medium heat. Add scallions and shiitakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add barley and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding enough broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring frequently, until the barley is just tender and the mixture has a slightly saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and the reserved asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 275 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less