We are moving away from the traditional American diet, so knew that we would need to add more seasonings. A bit of creole seasoning did the trick. Others may not need the extra seasoning. Very delicious and easy. I think we'll try it with shrimp next time!
Barley Hoppin’ John
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Traditionally made with rice, this classic Southern dish gets great toothsome texture here from quick-cooking barley instead. Serve with a green salad.
12 Reviews for Barley Hoppin’ John
My boyfriend and I are not vegans so I added shrimp and chicken on top. It was delicious! I also could not find quick cooking barley...believe it or not. So I used pearl couscous.Came out perfect...definitely will make again.
This dish is extremely easy to prepare and quite filling. I served it with an additional side of vegetables. I am on a vegan fast for Lent, and this fit the bill. I did find that the dish did not have a lot of flavor, so I sprinkled some Mrs. Dash on at the table. This did the trick.
Yum! I made this for New Years Day and it was a big hit with my family.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)