Barley Hoppin’ John
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Traditionally made with rice, this classic Southern dish gets great toothsome texture here from quick-cooking barley instead. Serve with a green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook until the vegetables soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add broth, barley, thyme, lemon juice, crushed red pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is done, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in black-eyed peas. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 320 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 677 mg sodium; 529 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (24% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010