Barley Hoppin’ John
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Traditionally made with rice, this classic Southern dish gets great toothsome texture here from quick-cooking barley instead. Serve with a green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook until the vegetables soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add broth, barley, thyme, lemon juice, crushed red pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is done, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in black-eyed peas. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 320 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 677 mg sodium; 529 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (24% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010