This is a lovely base for a bean and barley salad, but I find it's a bit boring unless I add a few things. I always add 4 oz of grape tomatoes and 2-3 oz of chopped green onion, which help A LOT. Several have mentioned having this with chicken; it's great with a little beef too.
Barley-Black Bean Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
This hearty combination of barley and black beans would be for lunch the next day as well.
4 Reviews for Barley-Black Bean Salad
My family and I really enjoyed the flavor of this healthy side dish. I made it with chicken on the side and it paired perfectly. I added only half the lime juice and no cayenne because I have a 2 and 3 year old:)
I made this and my husband and I loved it. We had it with chicken, and then had the leftovers with tilapia. It's easy, delicious, and good for you! I will definitely make it again!
Just made this and ate it. Simple to put together and very tasty. No salt, but the cayenne gives it just the right zip. Didn't have cilantro, but it was fine without it. Will definitely make it again, for the protein and fiber. Would probably be good with chicken added, or as a side with chicken.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)