Oven-Barbecued Asian Chicken
This Asian “barbecued” chicken made in a casserole dish is truly finger-licking good! You can make this with 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 12 ounces each) instead of thighs and drumsticks, if you prefer. Remove the skin and cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 portions about equal in weight. Serve with sautéed chard and whole-grain rice pilaf.
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Asian hot sauce, such as Sriracha, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tips)
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
- 4 chicken drumsticks (1-1 1/4 pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (see Tips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar-size) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Thinly slice 1/4 cup scallion greens; set aside. Mince the whites. Whisk the scallion whites, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, hot sauce and five-spice powder in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the prepared baking dish, meatier-side down. Pour any remaining sauce from the bowl over the chicken.
- Bake, turning once halfway so the meatier side is up, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, about 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and top with any remaining sauce from the baking dish. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and the reserved scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Tips: Chinese five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section of the supermarket or with other Asian ingredients.
- Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 361 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 144 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 42 g protein; 1 g fiber; 547 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (30% daily value), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 6 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)