Wasn't real sure about this one, but was wowed by the flavor, aroma and texture! Easy to make, hardest part is degilling the mushrooms. Followed the recipe except used fresh chopped (and seeded) jalapeno instead of the canned. You could easier add Tabasco to spice it up, but I used a hearty BBQ sauce and that did well. Will absolutely make this a regular.
Barbecue Portobello Quesadillas for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This smoky mushroom-filled quesadilla is reminiscent of pulled pork. A touch of chipotle chile pepper adds extra heat. Serve with coleslaw and guacamole.
7 Reviews for Barbecue Portobello Quesadillas for Two
I waited until after my husband gave these quesadillas his hearty approval before revealing that their main ingredient is mushrooms. He hates mushrooms, but he loved this quesadilla. Too spicy for me, though. Next time i'll try removing the chile seeds, and i'll serve something like frozen yogurt for dessert.
I could eat these every day. I cut back a little on the BBQ sauce, but otherwise followed the recipe. It was fantastic. Melty and smoky and just the right amount of heat.
Even 1 1/2 pound of mushrooms isn't that much once it cooks down. Next time, I will double the mushrooms but this was really yummy. I made it using homemade barbecue and added sriracha instead of chipotle. Another great vegetarian quesadilla recipe to add to the mix!
The only thing I changed was how much mushrooms and onions I put in. Followed everything else to the T, and geez these are delicious! Even my hubby likes them, and he doesn't like onions. Definitely making them again!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)