A take-off on New Orleans "barbecued" shrimp (also made on the stovetop), this combines shellfish with a piquant barbecue sauce that will have you licking your fingers. A 2-pound bag of mussels is just the right amount for serving a pair.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, dry mustard, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke (if using), honey and hot sauce, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 315 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 792 mg sodium; 685 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Iron (60% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique