A take-off on New Orleans "barbecued" shrimp (also made on the stovetop), this combines shellfish with a piquant barbecue sauce that will have you licking your fingers. A 2-pound bag of mussels is just the right amount for serving a pair.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, dry mustard, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke (if using), honey and hot sauce, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 315 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 792 mg sodium; 685 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Iron (60% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique