A take-off on New Orleans "barbecued" shrimp (also made on the stovetop), this combines shellfish with a piquant barbecue sauce that will have you licking your fingers. A 2-pound bag of mussels is just the right amount for serving a pair.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, dry mustard, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke (if using), honey and hot sauce, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 315 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 792 mg sodium; 685 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Iron (60% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood