A take-off on New Orleans "barbecued" shrimp (also made on the stovetop), this combines shellfish with a piquant barbecue sauce that will have you licking your fingers. A 2-pound bag of mussels is just the right amount for serving a pair.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, dry mustard, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke (if using), honey and hot sauce, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 315 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 792 mg sodium; 685 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Iron (60% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique