Banh Mi Hot Dog Recipe
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
If you’re a fan of the Vietnamese banh mi sandwich—or even if you’re not—try this unique fresh topping combo the next time you’re grilling dogs. We love the crunch of carrot and cucumber, the fresh taste of cilantro and the tangy zip from a big squeeze of lime.
- 2 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 whole-wheat hot dog bun, toasted if desired
- 1 grilled hot dog (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon halved and thinly sliced cucumber
- Lime wedge
- Spread mayonnaise on bun and add hot dog; top with carrot, cilantro and cucumber. Finish with a squeeze of lime.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Not all hot dogs are created equal. Reaching for the right brand in the grocery store can have a huge impact on your intake of fat and sodium. For a healthier hot dog, choose one that’s no more than 150 calories, has 3 grams or less of saturated fat and 370 mg or less of sodium.
Per serving: 201 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 176 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (47% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)