Bananas Foster Gratin
Brown sugar, rum and cinnamon flavor these baked banana gratins.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 almond or hazelnut biscotti, crushed (1/4 cup)
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, or low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, water, rum (or lemon juice) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Peel bananas and slice diagonally. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with biscotti crumbs. Bake gratins until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 300 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Potassium, & Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique