Bananas Foster Gratin
Brown sugar, rum and cinnamon flavor these baked banana gratins.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 almond or hazelnut biscotti, crushed (1/4 cup)
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, or low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, water, rum (or lemon juice) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Peel bananas and slice diagonally. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with biscotti crumbs. Bake gratins until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 300 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Potassium, & Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique