Bananas Foster Gratin
Brown sugar, rum and cinnamon flavor these baked banana gratins.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 almond or hazelnut biscotti, crushed (1/4 cup)
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, or low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, water, rum (or lemon juice) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Peel bananas and slice diagonally. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with biscotti crumbs. Bake gratins until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 300 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Potassium, & Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique