Bananas Foster Gratin
Brown sugar, rum and cinnamon flavor these baked banana gratins.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 almond or hazelnut biscotti, crushed (1/4 cup)
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, or low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, water, rum (or lemon juice) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Peel bananas and slice diagonally. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with biscotti crumbs. Bake gratins until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 300 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Potassium, & Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique