Bananas Foster Gratin
Brown sugar, rum and cinnamon flavor these baked banana gratins.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 almond or hazelnut biscotti, crushed (1/4 cup)
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, or low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, water, rum (or lemon juice) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Peel bananas and slice diagonally. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with biscotti crumbs. Bake gratins until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 300 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Potassium, & Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique