I made this exactly as described and it was delicious. Found the vanilla kefir in local grocery store .Had a rich, satisfying taste and was filling. The calories are per serving, not for the entire recipe, per one reviewers comment.
Banana Spice Smoothie
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This healthy banana smoothie is made with vanilla kefir and spiked with warming spices.
5 Reviews for Banana Spice Smoothie
Yuck! We poured it down the disposal.
I made a couple substitutions bc I did not have kefir. I used 1 banana, 1 cup of peach Greek yogurt, and 1/2 cup milk, with the provided spices and ice. This was the best smoothie I've had in a long time. Refreshing change from berries and flax seed that I usually make. It was gone in like 2 minutes, so good!
The calories of a banana are 70-120 (ish).
The calories of kefir per cup are usually 100 - 150 (ish).
I don't know how two bananas and two cups of kefir equal 283?
After trips to every local grocery store (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wegmans, Price Chopper, Shaws, Market Basket, and Stop and Shop) I gave up on finding vanilla kefir. I found plain, peach, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, and pomegranate though. I considered buying plain and adding sugar/vanilla, but in the end I used a combination of vanilla Greek yogurt and vanilla almond milk in place of the vanilla kefir. Loved the addition of spices to my smoothie and with the Greek yogurt this was packed with protein. My 12 yr. old daughter said it tasted like banana bread.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)